Tuesday, February 15, 2011

February 15th: building history

I went to the Oakland Public Library's Oakland History room to see if I could find out more about our building. The librarian there couldn't find anything but put me through to Betty Marvin: City Planner at the Oakland Cultural Heritage Survey. Up on the 3rd floor of the building downtown where you go to pay parking tickets, is her little office...an Oakland History enthusiast's dream which includes files on any building in Oakland of potential historical importance. So I sat down and read through the file she pulled for me on 1919 Market St.

The building was built in 1923 by the same architects that had done the Castro Theater (SF 1922) and would later do the Paramount Theater (Oakland 1929) as well as the Telephone & Telegraph building which was, at the time (1924) the tallest building in SF. One of the two architects also would be the lead consultant of the Bay Bridge (1936) design team.

The building was built as a storage/maintenance space for California Transit Co which in 1929 merged with Greyhound. My understanding is this building is the first home to Greyhound Bus Lines on the west coast/ birthplace of their west-coast section (Pacific Greyhound Lines). Greyhound was there until 1955 when a plumbing contractor Scott Co bought it. Not much information about after that, as I understand it's still owned by this plumbing company, but I'm unclear.

the file for 1919 Market st.

historical report of the building

bottom left is a photo of a bus in front of our building when it was used for bus storage and maintenance

newspaper article about big art parties that happened (and still do, there was one on Saturday night) in our building

2 comments:

  1. I love Oakland historical buildings, it's awesome that you researched yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I lived there for 10 years. I believe that party was likely in my unit. Hee hee. Our building was home to many different musical and creative communities with legendary histories. We've had mos def,, members of fishbone,visit us n we had a number of amazing big musical artists perform in our home. One of our housemates used to create breathtaking atmospheres and chill spaces ...these were some of the best times of my life. There are people I lived with that are in my heart forever like family. It was an amazing place. Long live otherworld! Overflow,oaklyn records,Team Bring It!,Gateway Soundsystem, Casa sangre, sugarbunnis high tea, http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/08/21/oakland-residents-displaced-from-building-under-renovation-file-lawsuit/ house, liminal,o.g. bandaloop, living room project, unit 8, joy newhart, terbo Ted and anyone and everyone else who lived there and made it thrive. Including you author!
    I just saw a photo today of the building being demolished. :-(
    My favorite part of my unit, was our spacious white floored common space with high wooden beamed ceilings and big skylights. We had trees and various plants and foliage everywhere. The sunny mornings were gorgeous. I would sit in a chair in the middle of the space and just take it all in. So lovely. When I left i knew it was going to be one of the things I missed most. Followed by the sound of the rain on the roof. And Watching 4th of July fireworks from our roof as a family yearly.
    Thank you for researching the history of our building. I'd heard about the greyhound bus thing. But always wondered more about its history.
    Sorry to get all intense about the memories of this place here. I just am still processing the reality of it truly being gone. <3

    ReplyDelete